Friday, January 2, 2009

Starting The New Year Out Right

Jackie and I had a pretty tame New Years Eve so it wasn't too painful getting up at 7am for a ride. A number of us from the team decided to join the Blue Water area tradition of a New Years Day ride from Lexington to Croswell. After breakfast and some coffee I headed out around 8am and picked up John along the way. We got into Lexington a little before 9am to find Todd, Lee and Kevin waiting for us, but nobody else. Hmm, I thought this was a tradition for a lot of the cyclists in the Port Huron area?

It was too cold to wait around so we got ready and headed out for the 6 mile ride to Croswell. The sign on the bank in town read 19deg, but it felt a lot colder with the wind, and most of the ride is pretty exposed. By the time we hit Croswell, the temperature was down to 13deg. That's cold, but luckily I made the right choice and wore plenty of layers so I was relatively comfortable, other than the exposed skin on my face. I also think being with a group of friends makes it a lot easier. If I had been out on my own I would have either turned around or been miserable, but it was a fun ride.

We arrived back in Lexington just before 10am to find a whole group of cyclists ready to go. The Times Herald was even there to cover the story. A few of the riders invited us to do the route again, but a warm cup of coffee and some breakfast was too tempting. The five of us changed and headed into Wimpy's, a local diner, to eat. All in all it was a great morning and a great way to start the New Year.

No comments: