Sunday, January 11, 2009

2009 Taking Shape

I'm pretty happy with how my year is going so far. It's only been 11 days of course, but I feel I'm off to a good start. While the weather around here hasn't been great since the start of the year, I have gotten outside to exercise 6 out of 11 days so far. Yesterday I got a nice 16 mile ride in on some dirt roads. It was very peaceful out there, everything covered in snow with little traffic around to disturb me.

We were hoping to have a group ride this morning, but mother nature tossed some more snow our way last night so it looks like the side roads won't be clear yet. Instead I went out and ran a couple miles around the block here. Jackie bought me some Stabilicers for Christmas. They are basically a pull on rubber sole with metal studs in them for traction. This was the first time I've used them and they worked fairly well.

I've been thinking a lot about goals for 2009. I really don't want to get too caught up in overplanning, but I also want to add some structure to my training and racing since I've never really had any. Here are some basics I want to achieve.

1. Finish the Lumberjack 100.
2. Finish the 100 pushups challenge I've been doing on JustFinish.com and maintain that all year.
3. Finish the 200 situps challenge I've been doing on JustFinish.com and maintain that all year.
4. Continue racing cross in the fall, but consistantly get into the top 10.

There's lots of other things to work towards, but I really want to focus on my overall fitness and strength, on and off the bike. If I get that into the best shape I've ever been in the other things will come along as well.

Well, I better go get ready. Today is the Team Sandbag Annual Party at Quay Street Brewery. I'm really looking forward to that. It's always a good time.

4 comments:

cjsbike said...

Looks like everything is moving along!

As for Lumberjack, Yoda would say,

"You will finish, you will finish."

-Chad

TP said...

Jay- I'm pretty confident 09 will be pretty good to you.

SingleTrackMinded said...

Thanks guys. Looking forward to a great year.

Todd Shorkey said...

Jay, those are great goals and I am sure you will accomplish them. You are working hard, and like TP said, I too am pretty confident that 2009 will be a great year for you!