Saturday, January 3, 2009

LumberJack 100 - Take 2

Well, here we go again. It seems like just the other day that I was typing out a post about registering for the LumberJack 100. That was over a year ago. My first experience with this race didn't go so well, but I'm determined to have a different outcome at the 2009 edition.

Physically I really believe I was up to the challenge last June. It was the mental game that took me down that day. Going into the race I was feeling really good. My training had been going really well, and about 4 weeks prior I had ridden over 100 miles at the 12 hours of Addison. The Addison race gave me a lot of confidence since I finished with over 100 miles and still felt good, like I could have kept going.

I knew that Lumberjack was going to be a whole different story, more climbing, less support, etc. The problem was I got too wrapped up in the excitement of the day once everything got underway. Before the race I made the decision to ride with water bottles only, no Camelback, thinking I would just stop at the aid station each lap and in the pits so every 12-13 miles I would have fresh bottles. On our first lap through I was moving good with a pretty big group of riders. As we hit the aid station I expected everyone to pull over, but nobody did. I though about it for a second, then pushed on. It was a stupid move, we still had 9+ hours of riding ahead of us and I was worried about stopping for a couple minutes.

By the time I finished lap one I was out of water, and hadn't eaten anything. This was 2.5 hours into the race. At this point I had a headache going, which I knew was dehydration, so I tried to take in more water, but it was too late. With about 10 miles to go on my second lap I bonked worse than I have ever experienced. I could barely pedal on flat ground, I was nauseous, dizzy, weak, you name it. By the time I made it to the pits I was so out of it. Jackie was there waiting for me and quickly realized I was in bad shape. She sat me down and tried to get me to drink. At first I didn't want to because I felt so sick, but eventually I started drinking, then eating. It took me about an hour and a half to get back to the point where I felt I could actually pilot my bike through the woods. By that point though there was no way I would make the cut-off for the 4th lap, so I called it a day.

This year will be different though. First off, Camelback for sure. I need to take in plenty of water and reaching down for a bottle occasionally just won't cut it for me. Second, I'm going to manage my calories better. When I looked back at the 5 1/2 hours I spent in the woods that day I realized I had only averaged about 100-150 calories an hour, less than half what I need.

This is the first I've written about the race. I remember being excited to write a big blog post about it before the race, but returned home embarrassed and ashamed. Not that I didn't finish, because lots of people try that race and don't finish, but because I know I was ready and could do it. I just screwed it up for myself. Not this year though. I've learned a lot and I will be much better prepared. June 20th is the race so the 21st, maybe the 22nd if I'm lazy, I'll be writing about my finish.

5 comments:

Todd Shorkey said...

Jay, not only will you be writing about finishing the Lumberjack, you will be writing about your revenge on the Lumberjack! I know you will have a great finish this year. You know what went wrong last time and have made the adjustments. You have absolutely no reason to be embarassed or ashamed of the race last year.

AP said...

J:
Winston Churchill once said, "All men make mistakes, but only wise men learn from their mistakes." Sounds like you are a wise man! It will be fun to hear about your 2009 experience.
Dave & Allison

SingleTrackMinded said...

Thanks Todd and Allison. I appreciate the words of encouragement. I'm really looking forward to my revenge on Lumberjack.

cjsbike said...

You can do it.

I will share with you the secrets to finishing 100 mile mountain bike races!

-Chad

TP said...

I hope you kick the Lumberjack in the balls this year. I'm confident you will FINISH!